Gone Fishing is the touching story of a boy and old man coming to terms with bereavement through their shared love of fishing, and the legend of Goliath, the biggest pike ever caught!
Financed by 150 film makers, Gone Fishing is a short film directed by Guerilla Film Makers Handbook Author Chris Jones. Thirteen minutes of magic that will touch and move you.
The story is in part autobiographical – while growing up, director Chris Jones and his friends would often attempt to catch the legendary ‘Oscar the pike’, a fish that according to local myth terrorized the lake at the end of his road, the aptly named Blue Lagoon. This was the inspiration behind the legend of ‘Goliath’, the big fish in this even bigger tale.
Think ‘Jaws’ but for kids…
Produced as a specific attempt to win the Oscar for best short film, Gone Fishing was actually shortlisted to the final ten films from which the five nominees are drawn in 2009. The movie has now won over 40 international awards, including the prestigious Producers Guild Of America Producer Challenge in 2009.
DOWNLOAD THE PDF PRESS PACK HERE
Gone Fishing... the soundtrack
Unusually, the score for Gone Fishing was put together from various music libraries. Most notable was UK based library Audio Network. The choice to use library music was made by Chris as it was the only reasonable way to get that ‘BIG’ movie sound that a huge orchestra can offer, without bankrupting the film. As Chris states, ‘Even if we convinced a top composer to write us a score, we would still need to get it recorded, and convincing a 180 piece orchestra and choir was too big an ask…’
How It Was Made...
- We documented the whole making of Gone Fishing on Chris’ blog here. Below we have listed a few dates of distinction.
- We also built a 100% online workshop for film makers, about making a world class short film. You can join here.
- We have 99.5% FIVE star feedback from the hundreds of film makers who have accelerated their careers by taking the workshop. You can sign up here, and read feedback here.
Gone Fishing Stills
Dates Of Distinction... and the push for the Oscars at Rhode Island Documentary
- The first day of the shoot, and it all began so well!
- The last day of the shoot, and will the director end up in hospital?
- The final sound mix and the movie is nearly completed.
- The premiere and the premiere video.
- Feedback from the Gone Fishing seminar.
- Cannes 2008 and the behind the scenes video blog.
- The Kodak Awards video blog.
- The Rhode Island Film Festival COMPLETE video blog.
- The Sedona Film Festival COMPLETE video blog. THE BEST YET!
- Winning the Producers Guild Of America awards for best short film.
- The email from the Oscars! Your shortlisted!
Gone Fishing Awards
- Best Narrative Short, Producers Guild Of America, 2009
- Academy Award (Oscars) Shortlisted, Best Short Film 2009
- Rhode Island International Film Festival,
- Grand Prize (First) 2008 (watch Webisode)
- Soul 4 Reel, Film Festival, USA 2010
- ROSHD Film Festival, Iran, Silver Award 2009
- Jury Award, Ale Kino, Poland 2009
- Best Short Film, Secret City Film Festival, USA 2009
- Best Film, IndieFest USA, Disney 2009
- Best Film, Route 66 Int Film Festival, 2009
- Best Film, Spirit Quest Film Festival, Pensylvania 2009
- Grand Jury Prize, Edmonton Int Film Festival 2009
- Best Short Film, Indianapolis Int Film Festival 2009
- Best Film, Best Editing, Best Sound, Ballston Spa Film Festival 2009
- Best Actor (Bill Paterson), Staten Island, NY Film Festival 2009
- Best Short, Staten Island, NY Film Festival 2009
- Big Island, Hawaii, Best Short Film, 2009
- Rincon Puerto Rico, Best Short Film, 2009
- Cape Fear Film Festival, Audience Award, 2009
- Cape Fear Film Festival, Best In Category, Short, 2009
- First Glance Hollywood, Audience Award, 2009
- Newport Beach Film Festival, Best Screenplay, 2009
- End Of The Pier Film Fest (Brighton) Audience Award 2009
- Palm Beach International Film Festival, Best Short Film, 2009
- Bare Bones Film Festival, Oklahoma, Bonehead Award for Best Short, 2009
- Lake Arrowhead, Best Short Film Award, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- MethodFest, Audience Award, California, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- ONFilm, Best Short Film, Norfolk Virginia, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- Best Cinematography, Heart Of Gold, Australia, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- The ‘Toni’ Directors Best Of Fest Award,
- Heart Of Gold, Australia, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- The Performance Short Film Competition,
- Best Film, BAFTA, London, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- Beverley Hills Short Film Festival, Audience Award, 2009
- Sedona Film Festival, Best Film 2009 (watch Webisode)
- Sedona Film Festival, Audience Award, 2009 (watch Webisode)
- Bahamas International Film Festival, Best Short Film 2008 (watch Webisode)
- Barbados International Film Festival, Best Short Film 2008
- British Independent Film Awards, 2008 Nominee
- My Hero Film Festival, Best Narrative Film, Los Angeles, 2008
- British Thunderclap Awards, Winner, 2008
- Turner Classic Movies Awards, Finalist 2008 (watch Webisode)
- Kodak Awards, Audience Award at the Soho Shorts 2008 (watch Webisode)